Position Title: Executive Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Executive Director is the leader of the organization, establishing a vision for Community Impact that is achieved through the efforts of a diverse team of high-performing leaders, staff and volunteers alike. The Executive Director is the Chief Mobilizer; leverages the power of relationships and networks, and works across private, public and corporate sectors to improve conditions in the community. The Executive Director possesses a high level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating resources and financial support for the organization. The Executive Director is dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good - creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies for broad investment and impact. The Executive Director is the steward of brand and understands their role in growing and protecting the reputation of United Way. Responsible for building trust in United Way and its relevance in the community. Values network and strives to leverage United Way's breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The major responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall impact of Catawba County United Way on the community, with particular emphasis on increasing its capacity to drive the impact agenda. The Executive Director works closely with the Board to craft and adapt the strategy to achieve this increased impact, including raising the funds to support it. They will establish and build relationships with top leaders in the community, including thoise representing the highest levels in business, government and non-profit sectors.
The Executive Director is charged to drive key results in fundraising; to identify, cultivate and solicit prospective donors and key leaders of prospective new corporate partners; to leverage personal and professional contacts and relationships into fundraising opportunities; and to promote a culture of fundraising in the organization, both at the staff and board level.
The Executive Director serves as the principal resource to the Board of Directors and its key committees and gives strong direction in policy formulation and interpretation. The Executive Director partners with the Board of Directors and the Catawba County United Way team to craft organizational goals and develops strategies to ensure that they are achieved. They ensure coordination and alignment of all United Way activities to strategic direction in the areas of community impact, resource development, and staff alignment.
The Executive Director is accountable for building and leading high-performing teams, ensuring all teams are aligned and collaborating to achieve organizational results. They maintain accountability for the operational and fiscal integrity of the organization within policies set by the Board of Directors. The Executive Director assesses organizational capacity to implement strategies and identify gaps in systems and staffing; directly supervises all positions and establishes individual goals; works with the Director of Finance to manage organizational spending, monitor budget compliance, and mitigate financial risks; and ensures that Catawba County United Way goals of inclusiveness and diversity among staff and volunteers are met.
- Substantial experience working in the nonprofit sector and interacting with volunteers and diverse boards. Alternatively, extensive experience in the leadership and management of organizations of comparable size and mission.
- Expertise on issues relevant to the organization.
- Ability to command the confidence and respect of stakeholders.
- A demonstrated track record of promoting diversity and an ability to build collaboration with the community at large.
- Experience in or across multiple sectors, including nonprofit, public and corporate environments.
- Experience in developing partnerships, building teams and conflict management.
- Experience in building revenue and increasing philanthropic support.
- Must demonstrate a high level of intelligence and intellectual curiosity and a desire to explore new ideas and innovative approaches to solving problems.
The Executive Director has unquestioned integrity; a long term perspective; a strong sense of accountability; a practical ability to get things done; wisdom and good judgment; a fair and thoughtful approach to management, combined with the flexibility and courage to shift direction and experiment with new initiatives; excellent verbal and written communication skills; a high energy level and sense of humor.
- Four-year degree in administration, business, public relations or associated field – lower education level may be considered when combined with extensive related experience.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail: PO Box 2425, Hickory, NC 28603