Catawba County United Way Volunteer Center
Giving From the Heart Awards - Nominations Due Oct. 11
It is that time again – time to recognize those outstanding volunteers who make all the difference when it comes to helping local non-profits lift up those in need.
The Catawba County United Way is getting ready to host the annual Giving from the Heart Volunteer Awards in November to help recognize these invaluable individuals.
Unfortunately, this year's event will be virtual, but Catawba County United Way is planning to have a lot of fun and provide a few extra surprises. The virtual "luncheon" will be on Nov. 18 at 12 p.m. Invitations will be coming soon.
One agency/organization may submit a maximum of five nominations in each category: adult individual, youth and group. Nominations are due by Oct. 11.
Eligibility requirements include:
• Nominee’s volunteer organization must serve the community at large.
• Nominee’s volunteer organization must be a non-profit or a governmental agency to receive the award.
• Youth award - Individual 18 years or younger. Youth groups are eligible for the Group Award.
• An adult, youth or group is eligible in one category only.
• Group Award is for groups of 2 or more individuals.
If you would like to nominate an outstanding volunteer, fill out the Nomination Form at this link:
Value of Volunteers
United Way is working to advance the common good by focusing on education, income and health: the building blocks for a good life. But we can't do it alone. We need the heads, hands and hearts of committed people like you to help us tackle the problems facing our communities. Each one of us has special talents. Things we can to help. Put your talents to work for your community. Volunteer.
Give an hour. Give a Saturday. Give your best. We all have special talents. Things we can do to help. And when we reach out a hand to one, we influence the condition of all. Whether it’s reading to children, or leading financial literacy classes for hard-working families, or delivering meals to homebound seniors, there are hundreds of volunteer options available every day.
Volunteers are invaluable to non-profit organizations! Click here to see how valuable!
Immediate Volunteer Needs
- The Greater Hickory Cooperative Christian Ministry needs help in the Nutrition Center and Pharmacy, and in its thrift store, sorting and stocking donations - Phone: 828-323-7904.
- The Family Guidance Center domestic violence shelter is in need of additional volunteers to relieve staff. LBrown@FGCservices.com
- The Hickory Soup Kitchen could use help in the kitchen preparing food for their current packaged food pick-up. Call 828-327-4828.
- Eastern Catawba Cooperative Christian Ministry needs volunteers to serve in its food pantry. Those willing to volunteer call 828-465-1702, ext 116.
- Highways and Hedges desperately needs help delivering furniture/appliances to folks in need. For more information call or text 828-781-8095.
- Adult Life Programs needs help washing and cleaning vans and cleaning the outdoor areas of the agencies different facilities. For information call 828-326-9120.
- The Salvation Army: providing weekend meals for shelter (dinner), Pantry help (Tuesdays and Wednesdays) For information call 828-322-8061.
To learn about these and other local opportunities, complete the Volunteer Registration Form below or contact us at 828-327-6851.